- This event has passed.
Westfield Farm, DA FOL
6 September @ 12:00 pm - 8 September @ 4:00 pm£11.50
Stewards Helen & Steve 07743226745
WESTFIELDS FARM (SRB MOORINGS)
This years FOL has the theme Cowboys and Indians, so if you’d like to dress up on the Saturday night please feel free. Around 1830 on the Saturday we will be cooking for everyone interested a meal of bangers, mash and beans – just bring your plates, cutlery and drinks. Prizes will be given at Sunday’s coffee morning for the best dressing up for child/children. There will be a FOL prize for the best lighting up of a unit.
We’re right next to the river so no doubt a lot of paddling will take place, so bring your boats!
Fingers crossed the weather looks good.
Places of nearby interest :
Hambleden Weir & Mill
Hambleden was the site of a mill in 1086 when the Domesday Book was being written. It is possible that a flash lock existed on the river here at the time. A pound lock, with heavy wooden manual beams, was built in 1773.
Caleb Gould, the lock keeper from 1777, lies buried in nearby Remenham churchyard. He died aged 91, and his epitaph on his grave stone reads, ‘This world’s a jest, and all things show it; I thought so once, but now I know it’.
Old Caleb baked bread and sold it to the Thames bargemen. When the current lock keeper, Peter Svendsen, took over at the lock in 1975, he found remains of these old bread ovens.
Domesday Book is a detailed survey of the land held by William the Conqueror and his people, the earliest surviving public record, and a hugely important historical resource.
Dog & Badger
The Dog & Badger is a delightful fourteenth century country inn.
There are few facts about the Dog and Badger even the date of its origin is in doubt –
There is no shortage of legends surrounding the pub. Nell Gwynn met certain of her admirers there; the Swan Uppers held great dinners here after the annual Swan Upping (a ceremonial census of the Royal Swans).
In the 1750’s the noted Satanist James Dashwood would retire here with his abandoned cronies after holding meetings of The Hell Fire Club at Medmenham Abbey.
A final and more authentic detail – as late as 1899 the Medmenham Parish Clerk announced the banns of marriage in the Dog & Badger before in the Church.
The Hell Fire Club
Where Freemasonry taught moderation, the Hell-Fire Clubs promoted excess; while Freemasonry bound its members to obey the moral law and to be lawful citizens, the Hell-Fire Clubs encouraged drunkenness, debauchery and a disregard for social convention.
The majority of Culden Faw Estate properties are in the village of Hambleden, many occupied by tenants with agricultural tenancies. Since the village was purchased, in 2007, a programme of works has been underway to refurbish the properties to a high standard as and when they become vacant, such that they can be easily let on the commercial market. The refurbishments follow consultation with both the National Trust and the relevant Conservation Officers.
In 2009-10 the Village Shop was made light, bright and accessible to customers with new fittings, lighting and colour. The shop was once a dairy, remembered as such by Charles Gray. ‘Milk would come in from the Estate farms and from there milk was taken out by pony and trap and measured into your own jug on the doorstep.’ There is no longer a local dairy supplying Hambleden, but villagers have been able to buy other daily items from the stores since at least the early twentieth century. The shop building is much more ancient than its function, dating in parts from the sixteenth century; it was rebuilt in the early eighteenth century and remodelled again in the nineteenth century.
Next door to the shop, the village Post Office also sold a few sweets and Charles Gray remembers sweets also being sold from the houses opposite. Meat was once bought from the old butcher’s, and a mobile grocer and baker used to visit Hambleden weekly, along with the ‘oil man’. In the 1950s and 60s the shop had a separate bakehouse at the rear, which required specific insurance ‘against loss or damage by explosion of the bake oven.’ An older bakery in the village is now a private house. A schedule of landlord’s fixtures and fittings at the Stores remains in the Culden Faw Archive, along with a plan showing the extent of the Stores when it was leased to Mary Saxby in 1958.
The old Post Office once incorporated a hand-operated telephone exchange. This was replaced by a separate, mechanised telephone exchange after the Second World War, in a rather ugly, functional building on the outskirts of the village. The Old Telephone Exchange has now been transformed into a two-bedroom bungalow designed by Jeremy Spratley, which has been nominated for various architectural awards.
Culden Faw was formed by the amalgamation of Culham Estate, Hambleden Estate and the deer park at Henley Park, Fawley. The Estate comprises some 3500 acres of mature beech woods, rolling pastures, parkland and unspoilt chalk valleys. Its impressive history is documented back as far as the Doomsday Book.
Today, the Estate is run on a commercial basis with an impressive property portfolio, land and farming interests, a forestry business, sporting activities as well as events.
In addition, the Estate owns both Hambleden Village Stores and the Stag and Huntsman Inn in the village of Hambleden.
As many people are aware, Fawley Hill is also an Animal Sanctuary as accidental in its conception as was the railway.
Sir William (McAlpine) has been involved with ZSL (London & Whipsnade Zoos) for longer than he cares to remember. He discovered very early on that while all the Zoos in the world (but we concentrate on Europe) constantly move animals around in order to prevent inbreeding and to conserve species which are dying out in the wild, there comes a point with most species where there is an imbalance: too many males usually (no, girls, you should not laugh! where would we be without them??) This is where we come in. Zoos cannot afford to keep “spare” men who just loaf about and need feeding: so they come to us. Here they live virtually wild. We feed each day and there are plenty of houses and shelters but none are allocated and no-one makes the animals “go to bed” at night.
Animals at Fawley tend to be found, when they die, to be among the longest-lived of their species ever recorded.
This is because they are free, they have no predators and human interference is minimal. Naturally, over the years, we acquire girls to go with the boys and they breed and their offspring frequently go to zoos who need a new gene stream or who have a lonely singleton.
We also have a lot of residents who come from Tiggywinkles, the wonderful animal rescue centre. When an animal cannot be released back into the wild, Fawley Hill is the next best place. So, you may spot a small herd of three-legged deer: all survivors of road accidents, some now quite old, many of them have given birth to several children. They look awkward but clearly being an amputee doesn’t affect their sex lives! We will take any animals who need a home but NO CARNIVORES! That said: we have discovered that Emus ARE carnivores, but they don’t kill – they eat carrion, just like the kites: who wait respectfully for the emus to finish before they try to pick at a carcass or the remains of a hog roast.
Sir William began breeding red deer for the table: now we occasionally send one of our “boys” to help out a park owner with a herd of girls but no boy – but heaven help anyone who contemplates eating any of our “children”!
There are over 20 varieties of animal here in varying numbers: some rare, some not: but all very happy!